Last night, the City Commission approved our Schools’ request to abandon a portion of Vine and Second Streets. This means that the proposed site plan can continue to the next phases of planning and development. Thank you to everyone who offered prayers or letters of support during this critical point in the campaign’s progress!
Record-Eagle Article, February 17, 2016
On Tuesday, February 16, City Commissioners will consider our request for a partial street abandonment as part of our proposed new elementary school construction project.
The proposed plan hinges on the vacation of the portions of Second and Vine Streets that bisect the Church-owned property. The street sections would be replaced by a right of way north of the parish rectory to connect Cedar and Randolph Streets.
- The road shift is integral to the proposed site plan which provides for an early elementary campus not bisected by city streets or drive aisles
- The configuration of buildings and parking allows for the efficient utilization of the Church-owned property, thus providing for the modernization of an in-town elementary school without additional property acquisitions
- Neither Vine nor Second Streets are through streets; those impacted by the change will primarily be school- or church-going motorists
- New school traffic flow options should result in less congestion on the city streets during pick up and drop off times
- The proposed plan allows for a large, grassy playground which will become an asset to the community
- The owners of the nearby Sleder’s Restaurant and Zany’s Consignment Shop (the Cairns) are satisfied with the proposed plan as it relates to their businesses
If you are a city resident or business owner, please consider voicing your support at the upcoming meeting, which begins at 7:00 pm in the Governmental Center. The opportunity to speak comes after the presentation of the proposal, and there is a 5-minute time limit per person.
If you cannot attend but wish to lend your support, please email CityCommissioners@traversecitymi.gov.
Thank you for helping us advance our mission for continuing excellence in Catholic education for our community.
Questions? Contact Wayne Mueller at Grand Traverse Area Catholic Schools.